When building or renovating your property, there are many construction methods and styles to consider. This means that the contractor you hire will have a large impact on the outcome. Most people assume that there are only two types of contractors: residential and commercial. But actually, there are different skills and expertise within the construction industry with stone masonry being one of them.
You may be wondering why you need a stone masonry contractor because that seems too specific. But actually, the reason why there is a distinction is because not all contractors can be stonemasons. This requires more experience and skill to be able to manipulate stones. For this reason, you should only let stone masonry professionals handle your stonework and repairs.
Benefits of Stone Masonry Construction
Looking at it as a whole, stone masonry designs and installations add lasting beauty and value to your property. It is both classic and sturdy. With that said, there are more benefits to stone masonry construction:
- Better insulation. Stone buildings or homes tend to be more energy efficient because it provides better insulation than other construction materials. The use of stones can increase the thermal mass of the property. This means less heat comes in, and at the same time, it reduces cold loss. Overall, this will let you save on energy bills.
- Water resistant. While most construction materials are made waterproof, aluminum sliding for example can be damaged more quickly than stone during extreme weather conditions. Shingles can also get old, causing gaps to allow penetration. With stone masonry construction, if properly installed and maintained, it prevents moisture from coming in. This allows for
- Non-combustible. As you already know, all types of masonry are fireproof because stone, brick and mortar do not burn. This means you can feel more secured in a home built out of stone. This is a level of fire safety that you will not find in timber-built homes.
- Lower insurance rates. This is related to the fireproof aspect of stone masonry construction. One of the main factors in determining the insurance premium is the likelihood of destruction from fire and storm damage. Since stone-built homes are unlikely to burn, the homeowner insurance policy will be cheaper.
- Stone masonry construction is considered the easiest to maintain. In fact, it can take decades before mortar needs repointing. As long as everything was skillfully and properly installed, maintenance should be minimal.
- Resale value. While it is true that stone costs more to build with, it is still worth the investment because it is said to increase your property value by 6%. Stone masonry not only raises and maintains property value, but it also stands against the test of time. Many homebuyers prefer houses built with masonry because it makes a strong impression.
Overall, as long as you hire a professional stone masonry contractor, you are making a long-term investment by using high quality and durable construction materials.